ALEX SHARPE FAN FORUM
October 21, 2018, 02:58:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Alex Sharpe Fan Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking Back at Alex's Importance  (Read 3485 times)
Apollomoon
Administrator
Alex is in My Heart

Simply Stunning

« on: June 25, 2011, 12:56:26 AM »

I just watched SftH for the millionth time. But also for the first time in about 3 months.
Maybe I have been avoiding it for some reason. Maybe I just have not taken time to watch it. Can't really say. Probably a little of both.
I know no one will think I am taking anything away from the current ensemble in saying this. The group of Alex, Chlo, Lisa and Lynn were the best vocal group CW has had. Those are my  thoughts anyway.  
Lisa Lambe has done a great job replacing Lynn of course. No need for any of you to wonder how much I support her. Go to her forum and look.

However the vocal combination of that quartet was, I think, superb.  And quite frankly, I think it was Alex's voice that made all the difference. As I watched and listened, especially in songs like Non C Piu and Isle of Hope, her voice just drove home the incredible harmonies and pure power those four girls produced. I think also that the quartet presented a more balanced stage presentation than the trio.

I found it strange that each time I saw the trio, in Non C Piu, they set up and left Alex's place open next to the piano. As if to remind us that she is still missed even after a year. They could have aligned in a diagonal as they do in other songs, but did not. It really is the only song that I truly miss Alex's presence in.

So just a little thought or two about how special Alex made the group during her time there. Probably won't hear anyone disagree but feel free if you do.

Those of us that  got the chance to see that group, saw the "Golden Age" of Celtic Woman as far as I am concerned. I honestly cannot believe they will ever be that good again.
Dave/AM

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:25:02 AM by Apollomoon » Logged

Celtic Fiddle Chick
Creative Genius
Administrator
Ohhh.. I'm so hot, Brrr

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »

Thanks Dave for sharing your thoughts. I do have to agree that those vocals were some of the best. I just listened to SFTH earlier this week and found myself wrapped up in their vocals and it made me realise how much I miss Alex and Lynn.

dutchfan
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »

Thanks for bringing that up Dave.

I myself had not the honor to hear those 4 voices together in harmony live, but listen to all the diffenrent ensambles in Celtic Woman
i have to agree that those were indeed the Golden Age.

Of course i'm a Alex fan but also have to be objective when it comes to music.
What i did was to listen to the different styles and ranges of the voices and how they sounds together, now mostly the first things you hear in harmony songs are the higher frequenties and notes and when you hear them it's to late to hear the other voices, you know it's there but can't put your finger on it.

When i first listened to SFTH i tryd to listen who was who, now clearly you could pick out Chloe and Lisa Kelly but there was something else, something that was the absolute base for the close harmony...the lower voices, these are the voices who will create the harmony and therefore also the most diffecult ones.
In some songs Alex has more than 3 octaves diffenrences to sing in just one single verce line and hold down the power (she has the ability to blow out the mic with her voice, and you don't wanno stands next to her when she shouts) her voice reaches almost 5 octaves, thats very impressive with now flaws.
That whas the thing that draw my intention and that's what i like about Celtic woman, to here the different voices seperatly but also in close harmony and i have to say that there will never be such almost perfect harmony of 4 girls with a combined range of sometimes 7 octaves.
Sorry for the tech stuff, but  he...it's my job

Al my compliments to Celtic Woman now and sure Lisa Lambe is a goddes in voice as a addition, but for me there is something missing.. the depth, that deeply warm voice in the distance.

So bless you who have seen her live.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:50:47 PM by dutchfan » Logged
moscapoet
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »

When Alex first joined the group in 2008 it was while LK was on maternity leave. Initially the staunch LK fans really had challenges accepting her in lieu of Lisa. By the end of the tour she had won a great many over, enough that quite a number started a campaign to keep Alex. Orlagh bowed out at the end of 2008 and Alex stepped in. IOH was the first real test for CW fans as Alex was given her own material but at the same time asked to accept Orlagh's previous roles in some songs. She put her own flavor on each piece and was widely accepted by fans. Then came summer 2009 and Alex, as well as Lynn, were given roles in the new DVD. Celtic Woman would never be the same in that transition as both now truly had pieces of their own to grab on to fans with. The SFTH tour began in Roanoke in February 2010 and with it came Alex's signature piece. Only one tour would see her grace the SFTH show on stage.

Alex's importance in all of this cannot be underestimated. The balance of vocals was spectacular and in my opinion superior to that before it in some ways. The stage presence of Alex was dynamite. She did not engage individual fans often as Orlagh had done. But when she locked onto you with those dazzling blue eyes and shot the song right into you it was quite an incredible experience. We also felt Alex's humor on various tour diaries and on the DVD extras. She was engaging at after show meetings as well and certainly left a few in lala land.

Celtic Woman has always known change. Not a year has gone by in its history where an artist did not leave. Alex's departure was as deeply felt as had been Meav and Orlagh. A bit less so for Deirdre and Hayley as they did not have a long time on tour with Celtic Woman. Lynn too left a legacy but the filling in by Lisa Lambe has soothed that for many and she is rapidly winning a sizable fan base. Alex was not replaced. That in and of itself is important and a huge decision. I agree that the vocals of some songs, while still beautiful, have lost a bit without that fourth vocalist. Perhaps a statement was made in some small way that Alex simply could not be replaced.  for many of us that is true. 
Apollomoon
Administrator
Alex is in My Heart

Simply Stunning

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »

Perhaps a statement was made in some small way that Alex simply could not be replaced.  for many of us that is true. 
No argument here  Wink

quantummechanic
Ohhh.. I'm so hot, Brrr

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »

A toast to the Golden Age.

I have SFTH on my iPod (DVD and CD) and it is a haven to retreat to. Alex has my favorite songs - TC and YBIMH - and carries the other songs perfectly. Sometimes I wonder if she got to chose those songs or where they chosen for her? Either way they were perfect. I will try not to miss a CW performance coming through, but as good as they will undoubtedly be, I will miss Alex. I think I read the perfect description somewhere: "The voice of passion."  Grin

Dutchfan - I am glad you are still with us - you can be as technical as you want.  Smiley

Phil/QM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

UseBB Port by Gaia Modified & Upgraded by Croco Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines