ALEX SHARPE FAN FORUM
April 21, 2018, 03:59:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Twitter page. http://www.twitter.com/AlexSharpeForum

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wasatch Wonders, Alex in Utah  (Read 2274 times)
Moscapoet
Sharpie Fan

I'm a Sharpie!

« on: December 19, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »

The music director of the Timpanogos Symphony Orchestra positively gushed about having Alex Sharpe on stage for December 17th. The headliner, Jenny Oaks Baker, violinist, did so as well. Alex was invited by Jenny to join her for this event and so she did. Both were on a short break from Kurt Bestor's Christmas show and tour. The event was held in the Timberline middle school auditorium with a capacity of 850 in Alpine Utah. Along for the ride was a delightful girls choir from the Center Of Performing Arts (COPA). The stage was good sized and solid and the venue had very nice acoustics. A very nice ten page program was handed out to the sold out audience this night. Perfect for getting signed later.

My general review of the show and events is in the Mairead forum and this will be Alex specific for obvious reasons. Mike posted a link to the general review over there. Thanks, Mike.

I was not sure what to expect when Tony acquired a pair of tickets for us many weeks ago. The only reason we knew about it was from Jenny's website. How much would Alex do in the show? Could we get a good seat? How many familiar faces would be there for her? Would there be a chance to talk with her?

Open seating and getting there right away early assured us of front row center. The program listed Alex with one song in act one, O Come O Come Emmanuel, and one in act two, Wexford Carol. Both fine choices but for we Alex fans it seemed a bit sparse. Not to worry as John Pew, the director, made sure we had some extra treats! Act one's fifth selection was that fine traditional Advent song, O Come O Come Emmanuel. It was backed with full orchestra and choir. Alex did not sing all the words as the arrangement had her and the choir doing vocal notes at times in place of the words that very much showcased her power and range. She was dressed in a long, gold, satin gown which is very much like a Celtic Woman second act dress in its fullness. She did spot Mike and I and gave us a brief wink and smile. She was typical Alex, though, and did not linger or interact much from the stage.

After a brief intermission it is time for act two. Second song in the director tells us a special story. He had been at the Kurt Bestor show Saturday night in Salt Lake City and was lamenting that Alex did not have a solo in his show for Monday. Gears were turning and he contacted his soon in another state after asking Alex if she would consent. Monday afternoon an arrangement arrived and like the pros they are it came together in time for that night's show. The treat? One of the most beautiful renditions of O Holy Night you would ever hear. It drew a standing ovation driven by the familiar faces up front. Two more pieces and then we get Wexford Carol, again with full orchestra and choir. I have loved this song ever since I heard Meav do it in the Celtic Woman Christmas show. It is a very old traditional song and that ancient phrasing comes through with a superior Irish vocalist. History shows it used to be limited to only male singers. Sure glad that changed! We get another Jenny tune and then an encore. The encore is  a very beautiful Silent Night done in Gaelic. Again I had heard this done by Meav on the ACC recording and it has such a lovely flow in that language.

In all four songs Alex was expressive, passionate, and loaded with the presence and power we fans have all come to know and love from her on stage. If she does this again next year I would encourage all here to make the effort to go and treat yourself and support her.

After the show everyone is invited to a free meet & greet! Pretty good for a $25 ticket! Well, it seems that EVERYONE wanted in on it! Yeah, go figure. So, Mike, Steve and I hang back and wait until the end. Takes almost two hours!! Finally we get to the table and pleasantries are exchanged. She takes almost 20 minutes with us for photos, signing things, and mostly some delightful chatting. We get hints about staying tuned to 2013 and we'll await with great anticipation. Alex is VERY happy doing her own thing as she chooses. She is busy but, like Orlagh, it is her call. All too soon we are off and she is headed for Idaho to perform. Mike and I will attend night two but no Alex and this is to strictly support Jenny and company. That night two is posted in the Mairead forum now.

Thank you, Alex, for a wonderful night in Utah and the blessings of more song from Heavenly gifts. Oh, and thanks to folks here for allowing me to return to post this and support the artist.

Apollomoon
Administrator
Alex is in My Heart

Simply Stunning

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »

Thanks Scott...about time you came back  Wink

Moscapoet
Sharpie Fan

I'm a Sharpie!

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »

Thanks Scott...about time you came back  Wink
Yes it is, and I hope there will be many more chances to post Alex reviews here!  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

UseBB Port by Gaia Modified & Upgraded by Croco Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines