ALEX SHARPE FAN FORUM
October 15, 2018, 09:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Twitter page. http://www.twitter.com/AlexSharpeForum

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Weekend with Alex and Jenny  (Read 6998 times)
Firetow17
Sharpie Fan

« on: December 19, 2013, 01:00:38 AM »

Alex and Jenny Show Review
12/13-15/2013
Day One
The day started off leaving work at noon for the 100+ mile trip to Annapolis to beat the Baltimore traffic. Arrived at the hotel around 6:00pm and met up with my brother who had come by a different route. After checking in, we went to find the Maryland Hall, and get a bite to eat before the show.

Seating was assigned; we had seventh row center orchestra. I saw Mike (aka Mr. Peabody) up in the front row. (How does he do that?) I first met Mike at the Celtic Woman Christmas show in Shippensburg, PA the week before.
                                                    The Show
While I have seen Jenny and Alex’s Christmas show before, and have the “Noel” CD that I have played hundreds of times, I was in for some surprises tonight. Alex sang one of her favorites called “My Grown-Up Christmas List”. Another highlight was when Alex did a reading of the long version of “Twas the Night Before Christmas”. Soooo expressive! And with the accent, it was just gorgeous. But the number one best song of the night was Alex’s “Breath of Heaven”. Such Power, Such Emotion. It was truly an awesome sight to behold (and Hear). I know that I am not the only one asked Alex to please, please record that song.
After the show was over, we were waiting at our seats for the crowds to clear. The next thing I know, here comes Jenny and Alex up the isle through the crowd on their way to the signing table. After a quick hug from Jenny and a squeeze from Alex, they were off to go do their thing.  After the crowds died down, Mike and I were able to spend a few minutes talking to Alex and Jenny. I was finally able to get a picture with Jenny. This was the fourth time I have seen her play since last December and I had never gotten one. I guess I had more important things on my mind. It was only then that I learned that Alex wasn’t feeling well and was suffering from a cold. I am certain that no one in that audience thought that Alex was anything less than 100%.
So we said our good-byes, and were off to the hotel. My brother decided to go home early because there was a snow storm coming to PA where we live.
                                                          Day Two
After checking out, I spent the day checking out Annapolis. Found the church where the show was that night. St Anne’s is a beautiful old brick church right in the center of town. Signs in the lobby state that three of the signers of the Declaration of Independence worshiped there, along with Frances Scott Key, the author of The Star Spangled Banner. Also found a great place for dinner called the Galway Bay Irish Pub. The lamb stew was excellent, followed by a complimentary shot of Irish egg-nog.
Next it was off to the church. I was about two hours early because the parking garage was three blocks away and it was raining. I wanted to get there early because it was general admission. Turns out it really didn’t matter, Alex and Jenny weren’t even there yet, and the ticket people were just getting set up. There was no real lobby at the church so the people that came early got to come in and sit wherever they wanted and watch the rehearsal.
The show was pretty much the same as the night before. One notable exception was that instead of “Twas the Night Before Christmas”; Alex read the story of the birth of Jesus from the Bible. The sad thing was, the church was only about half full, which is a shame because a lot more people could have seen a wonderful show.

Day Three
The shows at the DC Temple Visitors Center were shortened versions, about 45 min, with no readings. But I was able to hear “Breath of Heaven” a couple more times and Jenny’s four kids played a song written for them by Curt Bestor.

Conclusion
All in all it was an awesome weekend. J. Ernest Green, the conductor, and the Maryland Live Arts Orchestra were excellent. My brother got to come down for the Friday show and another friend brought his girlfriend down for the Sunday show. They all loved it. Just doing my part to introduce new people to these phenomenal artists.

After all the planning, preparation, and looking forward to this weekend, I left my Alex Sharpe Fan Forum button at home. Never realized it till I got home and saw it.

Below are a few pictures. The first two venues did not allow photographs so the performance ones are from the Visitors Center.

This first one is my favorite from the whole weekend. It is me with Alex and Jenny holding my collection of all 11 of Jenny's CDs

Mike and I after Fridays show.

I'll post some more pictures later.
Graham
Daniel
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:59:23 AM »

Aaah Graham, wonderful review and what an experience for you...a hole weekend of Alex!!!!! Not many can say the same here.

She was already not feeling well before she left and was hoping feeling better by the time she would be performing, but she's Irish.... and very professional. Haha great accent she has what? Not only she has a great voice to hear her sing but talking with her is also a delight. If she would record a cd with story's to tell it probably would sell the same as she would have with singing.
Anyway.. thanks for taking us with you on your journey.
You have been Alextrified...

Daniel
Firetow17
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »

You have been Alextrified...

Thanks Daniel, That happened long before this weekend. It was Nov 28, 2009. The day I first saw her on TV.
Moscapoet
Sharpie Fan

I'm a Sharpie!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »

Graham, thank you for the review!! What a wonderful three days for you! Great photos too! Such a blessing and I know what it is like to play the Noel CD. I listen to it all year. Would love to see Alex do a Christmas CD that also includes that reading.
Apollomoon
Administrator
Alex is in My Heart

Simply Stunning

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »

Thanks Graham...good times for sure. I guess I will have to get involved one of these days  Roll Eyes

mwr085
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »

What a great opportunity you had. Thanks for sharing.
Mark.
Celtic Fiddle Chick
Creative Genius
Administrator
Ohhh.. I'm so hot, Brrr

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »

Nice review. Glad you were able to get the opportunity to go.

Firetow17
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »

Seeing Mike's review reminded me that I have some more pictures to post.

St Ann's church on Saturday afternoon

From the Sunday evening shows:

Jenny's kids

Some of the lights at the Visitors Center with the Temple in the background.

steveyoung
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »

I saw a similar show on Dec 22 in Brigham City, Utah with Jenny and her children.  They were amazing! Unfortunately Alex wasn't in that one, and for those of us that are her fans, her absence was very noticeable!
MrPeabody
Ohhh.. I'm so hot, Brrr

Tack för en underbar kväll, Alex.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 09:43:22 PM »

It was great to finally meet you, Graham. Thanks for the review and for the lovely pictures. I was bummed when they announced that pictures weren't allowed in Annapolis. I would really like to have a picture of Alex in that white gown. After the show I jokingly asked her if she would change back for a photo and she almost seemed willing until I stopped her. Smiley

Mike

Moscapoet
Sharpie Fan

I'm a Sharpie!

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »

Wonderful added photos!!! We need an Odo's Bucket smiley here!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

UseBB Port by Gaia Modified & Upgraded by Croco Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines