ALEX SHARPE FAN FORUM
July 22, 2018, 02:40:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Alex's Official Twitter http://www.twitter.com/AlexSharpe1

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Christmas gift from Alex  (Read 3472 times)
steveyoung
Sharpie Fan

« on: January 13, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »

Hi fellow Sharpie fans,
I've decided to share something that happened to me a few weeks ago, something which is quite personal. I'm doing so because I believe good can come of it. Most of you are on this forum because you, like me, believe that Alex has the most beautiful voice on the planet. But most of you also know that she is as awesome offstage as on, and many of you have been touched personally by her. We support her not only because of her singing, but because of the person she is and the way that she reaches people. Let me tell you what happened a few short weeks ago, something that I will never forget.

By profession I am a doctor, but I have played keyboards since I was six years old. With the little time I have, I spent four months working on an organ solo that I would play in church for our Christmas program. While practicing it I would often be overcome with the feeling of the music. I recorded it, and gave the CD to a few people. The recording was not done professionally, and it had much room for improvement in my estimation.

In November an odd idea occurred to me. I would send it to Alex! Not being a musician by profession, I was timid to do so, being keenly aware of how the recording could have been better. But what did I have to lose? I burned a CD for her, and autographed it with a little note. I smiled to myself about that. Here I am, Mr. Small Potatoes, autographing one of my CDs for Alex Sharpe! But once again, what did I have to lose?

December came, with the hustle and stress of the holiday season. In my house, we just hope to make it through the end of the holiday. On December 24, I was immersed in all of this, helping my wife get everything ready for the next day. I turned on my iPad and glanced down at my email. On the inbox list appeared the name of Alex Sharpe. As you might imagine, that got my attention. I quickly opened the message.  What I saw caught me completely off guard, and I felt instantly overwhelmed. The CD had arrived in Alex's mailbox on Christmas eve. She was listening to it that day. She said some wonderful things about the music, and told me that it had brought the spirit of Christmas into her home. She thanked me with an outpouring of gratitude which is so typical of her.

I was stunned. I pinched myself several times, and nothing changed. I was trying to wrap my brain around what just happened. This woman, whose heavenly music had brought the spirit of Christmas to so many people during her recent concerts, was sitting in her home on Christmas Eve listening to my music! She took her precious time on a very busy Christmas Eve to send me what is likely the nicest email I have ever received! As of today I have not yet gotten over this experience. I must confess that I have been overwhelmed and humbled to tears as I think about it.

But there is more. As I reflect on what happened to me, I realize that I want to be like this. I want to follow the road that she has so beautifully shown us. I can't be like her, but I can in my own way set my sights higher and try to help to touch other people as she has done for me. This is not the first time that Alex has inspired me this way, and I am a better person because of it. I call this the "spread of goodness," where the great influence of one person continues to spread beyond the people that they have direct contact with. I know many of you have had experiences similar to mine with her.

To everyone on this fan forum, I believe your time is well spent as you support Alex. We are in a time when so much in the media contains influences which disable people in their personal lives. When it comes to the arts, I cannot think of a better cause to support than Alex Sharpe. Her amazing talent gives her the potential to be a force for good in the lives of many people.

Thanks again to all, I hope each of you has a great new year!

Steve
MrPeabody
Ohhh.. I'm so hot, Brrr

Tack för en underbar kväll, Alex.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:56:54 PM »

Wonderful story and wonderful gift, Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Apollomoon
Administrator
Alex is in My Heart

Simply Stunning

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »

That's a nice story Steve. Glad she got it on time. Funny I was just about to send her stuff out when you emailed me about your intent, so I waited. Fate??

Every time I hear a story like yours, I know the reason I came to know Alex. Quite strange, until I see the joy that the connection brings others like yourself. Pretty rewarding to be sure.

Dave

Daniel
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »

What a realy nice Christmas gift Steve,and how lucky that it came on Christmas eve.
The way Alex thanked her fans for gifts or sharing story's is so typical for her. She's very humbled with the smallest gesture.

Maybe you can share some of that music with us, we all are hear for the music of Alex but also are very supporting in talents among our members.

Anyway congrats. Wink
steveyoung
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »

Daniel, thanks for the suggestion of sharing the music. Being purely instrumental, I  think it surely pales in comparison to anything that Alex does. Although I don't sell my music (just give it out), unfortunately there are some copyright issues that could get me in trouble if I were to post it.  But thanks for the thought!
Celtic Fiddle Chick
Creative Genius
Administrator
Ohhh.. I'm so hot, Brrr

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 01:16:06 AM »

Lovely story Steve. A comment given by Alex is sure something to cherish. I have gotten a few comments from her about my photography, she is a one of a kind gem.

steveyoung
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »

I bet your photography is probably very good!
Now I'm selecting music for 2014 CDs.  I'm feeling just a little more pressure to pick good pieces and perform them well knowing that I may be sending them across the pond again!!  Nothing like a little motivation to make us do better Smiley
Moscapoet
Sharpie Fan

I'm a Sharpie!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 12:52:37 PM »

Steve, that is awesome! As a doctor I think you understand the positive thing music can be for physical and mental health if it's the right kind of music. In the stress of a medical profession your own playing is great therapy. But equally so can be surrounding yourself with music and artists like Alex. To receive an email like this is a superb Christmas gift and it is what seems to be typical of Alex. That little Christmas gift will last a whole life long.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

UseBB Port by Gaia Modified & Upgraded by Croco Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines