ALEX SHARPE FAN FORUM
October 19, 2017, 06:53:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Alex Sharpe Fan Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So yeah!  (Read 2460 times)
Apollomoon
Administrator
Alex is in My Heart

Simply Stunning

« on: June 25, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »

I went to what has become my annual Celtic Woman show on Wednesday, this year at the Proctors Theater in Schenectady. It is a wonderful small venue and just right for a CW show. It also is the first place I ever saw CW and the only reason this forum exists as well because it is the first place I saw Alex perform.

Now it has also become the first place Alex and I have met in the flesh. After nearly 5 years of typing and Skyping and  texting and any other method of communication you can think of we finally got to just sit and talk.

I had purchased a ticket a couple of months ago and had a good seat about 10 rows back left of center. There are no bad seats in Proctors really. Met a couple of old friends there before the show so that is always nice as well. I was quite disappointed that Mike Brown was not going to be there. I didn't bother to ask him until the afternoon of the show because he always makes the journey for our annual get together, so I was surprised when he told me no dice. Just wasn't the same with him not there.

I thought the show was the best I have seen since Songs From the Heart which has always been my favorite tour. It had a nice mix of old favorites like Caledonia and Nilsenla as well as several traditional Irish tunes. The addition of the dancers has been special and good to see they are continuing with it. This was the 100th show of 2015 and the Girls made a couple of comments about that. The audience was great as well. As the show went on they really became quite involved and they gave 3 very long standing ovations. The girls could really not make announcements of the next song as the crowd just would not stop.

So many great "old" CW tunes in this line up it was great. Alex came out in the middle of the second set and completely crushed "The Voice". I can't imagine where she gets such power. I had really forgotten how special she is on stage and that was a fine reminder.

Alex provided a M&G ticket for me so I stopped by Will Call and picked it up before the show. It seemed the easiest way to guarantee we would not let the chance go by. She told me to wait until the end of the line and actually when I went in there was no one left but me. Alex was open armed for me which was so nice. I had met Susan a couple of years before but had never met Mairead C. I thought she was a delight. I had met Mairead N several times and we had good fun reminiscing about the show at Bethel Woods when the storm blew in during "You Raise Me Up" she thought it was going to blow them off the stage. She even remembered Chloe's dress getting blown up in her face. Good to visit with her, she is so nice.
We took the obligatory photo or two and then the other Girls left Alex and I to visit for a while. We actually had quite a bit of time before the wardrobe girl came for her dress. She begged about 5 more minutes but then it was time to go. But at last we got to meet in person. It was kind of odd to be talking, we even joked that maybe we should be texting each other instead. It just seemed natural for us  Cheesy.

So there is my little review of the show and such. Thanks to any of you that still drop by. I asked Alex if I should keep the door open and she said of course. So as she is the boss I will maintain the site.

Have fun!!
Dave

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:10:55 PM by Apollomoon » Logged

quantummechanic
Ohhh.. I'm so hot, Brrr

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:26:23 PM »

Dave, I am so happy for you! It is truly great you finally got to meet Alex in person. Of course you have to keep the forum going, especially now that there are more and more Alex projects to keep track of.

The show last night was great. I almost didn't get tickets for it sinc Holly and I had seen them last year at The Palace in Albany, but our son Bryan hadn't seen them in 3 years, and had an asthma attack halfway through, so I used that as my excuse. It was only later that I found out Alex would be there. Was exuberant!  I had really only seen her perform live twice before (IOH & SFTH), but had heard/seen her perform about a thousand times in recordings - which though wonderful do NOT do her performances justice. Only complaint - not enough Alex solos! I don't go to a lot of stage shows, but I have seen Richard Harris in Camelot and Derek Jacobi in Much Ado About Nothing; when Alex is on stage, she 'owns the stage' just like they did. When Alex sang "I am the Voice" she was not being immodest, she was being truthful; as you said, she killed it. Will be happy to go on any reasonable road trip to see Alex in another venue (definitely couldn't swing the Cork opera house, though).

So, I got to see Alex again, though I didn't meet her. I got to hear a song which still rings in my ears, and I will still stand by my comment of several years ago now - when the angels come to close my eyes for the last time, may I be listening to Alex singing so heaven won't be such a shock.

Dave, I hope you wished her God luck on her August performance.

Phil/quantummechanic
Firetow17
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 07:24:17 AM »

So glad you finally got to meet her Dave. I saw her in Rochester on Tuesday. I will post a couple pictures in the Photo section. It was so nice to see her on that stage again. I have really missed her there. YRMU hit me pretty hard. That was the song CW was singing when I stumbled across them on TV in 2009 and saw her for the first time, and to hear it again with her back on that stage was really special.

Graham
Celtic Fiddle Chick
Creative Genius
Administrator
Ohhh.. I'm so hot, Brrr

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:39:35 PM »

I knew eventually you would meet her. So glad it finally happened. Wish I could have been there too.

Starman
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »

A great story with a most happy ending Dave!  I am so glad you got to meet Alex this tour!  You certainly deserved this! A faithful fan of hers all this time!

And a fine person and performer such as deserves to have such devoted fans as yourself!  Thank you for sharing with us!  Smiley

steveyoung
Sharpie Fan

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:34 PM »

Dave, you getting to meet her is not only a great event for you, but a great benchmark for this fan forum! I was SOOO happy that happened. So fitting for you and you are so deserving of that.

I still feel that I must be dreaming as I have been practicing A LOT for the music that I'll be performing with Alex here in Logan, UT, August 7 and 8. One of the pieces is a medley that I arranged. It is beyond surreal that my all time favorite performing artist asked me to perform with her and we'll be debuting something that I wrote. Never in my life has something so improbable happened to me!  Also, I remember seeing a video clip of Alex singing You Raise Me Up and thinking how awesome that was. Now I'll be accompanying her along with 2 choirs and two other soloists as we do that number together. But the real reason behind all of this is not just to give me that experience, but to lift up others. I know personally many people whose lives have been positively touched by Alex, and many more will be, much of it due to the groundwork that Dave has laid here.

By the way, you never know, Alex may have more to announce soon, stay tuned, you just never know.......................................
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

UseBB Port by Gaia Modified & Upgraded by Croco Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines